Gemstone rings are timeless pieces but that doesn't mean they won't gather dust over time, especially when you don't clean them for a while. Both the gemstone and the band need proper care to maintain their natural ambiance. By treating your jewelry with care, you can prevent damage and keep it in perfect condition for years.
Now, because gemstones are valuable stones, you need to know how to clean them the correct way. Fortunately, we are going to share the methods that you can use to clean your gemstone rings safely and easily to restore a like-new shine.
Read through below to learn how to clean gemstone rings, the perks of cleaning them, and many more useful tips.
The Importance of Cleaning Gemstone Rings Correctly (and Frequently)
What makes gemstones so precious is their rarity and toughness. However, if you think that gemstones do not need any kind of care due to their durable nature, you are mistaken. Your gemstone rings take on dirt and grime over time which can be detrimental to the appearance of your jewelry.
Some of the reasons why you need to learn gemstone cleaning methods include;
- Although gemstones can withstand the test of time, their bands don't usually have the same strength. For instance, a gold band holding a diamond piece is subject to discoloration when dirt and grime take over. However, cleaning your gemstone ring appropriately can help prevent it from becoming stiff and rusty.
- If yours is a spinner ring, cleaning it can help remove friction and help it spin smoothly. That way you can keep using your spinner ring to control anxiety, meditate, or pray.
- Cleaning your gemstone ring can help improve the look of the jewelry. Once dust and other mineral elements are removed from the ring, its shine gets restored.
- Improves your hygiene: Unclean jewelry pieces can breed bacteria, fungi, and other harmful microorganisms that trigger allergies and cause skin issues. However, when you care for your gemstone ring, there will be no room for such impurities to thrive.
Now that you know why cleaning your gemstone rings is crucial, let's get straight to learning how to clean gemstone rings at home with everyday items in the next section.
How to Clean Gemstone Rings at Home: Step-by-Step Guide
Ready to learn how to clean gemstone rings? It’s actually much easier than you may think. You can get a like-new shine to your ring fairly quickly and with supplies you may have around the house.
First, figure out the type of gemstone ring you have.
First Things First - What Type of Gemstone Ring Do You Have?
The tips for cleaning gemstone rings are dependent on what type of gemstone you own. Different gemstones have different physical properties which means they can react very differently to heat, light, acids, and scratches. For instance, hardness is a physical attribute common to gems such as diamonds, rubies, and sapphires. However, they usually have inclusions and incipient cleaves that may react to heat or mechanical cleaning.
That said, check out some of the methods of cleaning different types of gemstones below;
Warm Water And Mild Soap- Hardstones
If you are looking for how to clean gemstone rings at home with regular stuff, the warm water, and mild soap solution is your best option. It is one of the most common ways to remove mineral and oil deposits from any type of gemstone without spending extra cents. See how to deep clean gemstone rings using warm water below;
- Pour some warm water into a bowl.
- Add some mild detergent into it and mix until bubbles are formed
- Put your gemstone ring inside the bowl. Make sure your stone is completely submerged in a solution of warm water and mild detergent.
- Soak for about 5 minutes and Rinse with warm water
- Pat dry when complete.
This process can be used for hard stones such as quartz, diamonds, emeralds, and sapphire.
Ultrasonic Cleaner- Flawless hard stones
If you are looking for the best way to clean gemstone rings with hard stones and metal bands, look no further than ultrasonic cleaners. An ultrasonic cleaner looks like regular AirPods cases, only that it is a bit bigger and wider. It cleans pieces of jewelry by creating tiny bubbles that scour every part of the pieces. This method is suitable for tough stones, like diamonds and quartz.
However, you mustn't clean your vulnerable hardstone with the ultrasonic cleaner. That is because if your stone has an internal break, the ripple effect from the cleaner is strong enough to shatter it. See how to deep clean gemstone rings with the ultrasonic cleaner below;
- Open your ultrasonic cleaner
- Pour some water, some mild soap, and a tablespoon of ammonia into it.
- Activate the ultrasonic cleaner for 5 to 10 minutes to mix the solution.
- Open the Ultrasonic cleaner and put your gemstone rings in it
- Run the device for another 5-10 minutes until your jewelry looks clean.
- Leave the rings in the water for about three minutes to get rid of leftover debris
- Rinse and dry your rings with a clean soft cloth.
This method not only cleans your gemstone rings, but it is also great for your precious metal bands.
Steam Cleaner- For hard stones
The steam cleaner is another way to clean your textured diamond, sapphire, and ruby rings. It uses high-pressure water to flush out deposits from pieces of jewelry. However, it is not suitable for gemstones that are subjected to thermal damage. So, keep your vulnerable hard stones from the steam cleaner to avoid shattering them.
See how to clean gemstone rings with a steam cleaner below;
- Soak your ring in warm water and soap for about 15 minutes
- Pour some water into the cleaner's tank and allow the device to get up to temperature.
- Remove your soaked rings from the warm water solution and place them in the cleaner's basket.
- Run the steam cleaner for 10 seconds and stop
- Repeat step 4 until your gemstone rings look clean.
- Remove the jewelry pieces from the steam cleaner's basket and pat dry.
Tips for Keeping Your Gemstone Ring Clean
Cleaning your gemstones after they get dirty is only part of proper care. Pre-use care is also important. See some of the best tips to care for your gemstone rings below;
- Apply your perfumes, colognes, and hair sprays before you put on gemstone jewelry because their chemicals can reduce the gem’s beauty and shine.
- Perspiration can be harmful to pearls. If it's impossible to keep your pearls away from your skin, wipe them clean with a damp cloth immediately after wearing them.
- Most commercially prepared jewelry cleaners are safe but beware of those that contain ammonia or chemicals that can damage gemstone rings.
- To keep your diamonds sparkling, avoid touching them with your hands unless necessary. Greasiness causes the gemstones to look worse, which results in more frequent cleaning for you.
Final Thoughts on How to Deep Clean Gemstone Rings
Gemstones are usually easy to maintain. Just a few cleanings here and there will keep them looking beautiful for years to come. The methods and tips mentioned above will assist you in cleaning gemstone rings successfully.
Did you find our article on how to clean gemstone rings helpful? Then do not hesitate to shop at Ideaure for authentic, affordable, and long-lasting gemstones.
If you are a fan of gemstone rings and need gem rings, head over to Ideaure. We have a stunning selection of gemstone rings that will thrill you - especially when you see the low price point!
We also have anxiety spinner rings for women looking to level up their style and reduce anxiety. Mixed metal rings and Christian rings for women are also available at affordable prices at our store.
Do you have a loved one you would like to surprise? Are you interested in upgrading your gemstone collection? No matter what you’re looking for, you’ll find an amazing collection here in our store - shop now and treat yourself or that special someone!